Crogen Estate

Change Language Wales UK

A Brief History

Crogen is a Grade II* listed house which can trace its origins back to the 14th Century. It was the site of the hanging of Richard de Broes, who had an affair with the wife of Llewellyn. De Broes had been in the court of King John and reputedly 800 people witnessed his death. More recently, the house was modernised by the Earl of Dudley in 1831 who, as the then-owner, used the property as his hunting lodge. In fact, Dudley had plans to substantially extend the house.

In 1864, Henry Robertson – a very successful civil engineer, entrepreneur, industrialist and politician – acquired the lease on Crogen and subsequently acquired the property in the 1890’s but not before he’d built his own substantial house nearby, Palé. In 1889, Queen Victoria came to stay at Palé and visited Crogen to see Henry Beyer Robertson, who at 27 years old, had succeeded his father in the family businesses and properties.

Over the past 100 years or so, the house has remained in the Robertson family, although for the majority of that time, it has been let out. The family came back to the main house in 2004 and whilst it retains a family atmosphere, it has been sympathetically modernised to accommodate guests and friends alike.

Although Crogen is steeped in history, the current owners are very forward looking, and passionate about the ecological prospects of the estate: as well as biomass heating and a hydro system, they are currently investigating the possibilities of wind power.